Thread: Will DTV activate a brand new H-20 model Receiver

Thanks

Will DTV activate a brand new H-20 model Receiver

I have a discontinued H-20 model brand new will DTV activate this so i can use it??, my neighbor has DTV and he will put it on his account if its allowed, my concern is that they no longer use this model and may give us a big story about why it cannot be used.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Post split from from another thread!
    Gates07 you hijacked a thread that is more than 2 years old to ask a question that was not really related to that thread.

You will have to call DTV and give them the IRD number so that they can check if any money is owed on it or if it's stolen then they will tell you if they can activate it.

You may also have to activate it as a "Leased Receiver" in which case you would be better off just leasing a new one from them.

I just switched back to DTV last week and found out about this new policy and the "Leased Receiver" fee and I was/am not very happy about it.
    But I still think their channel line up is better than dishnet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 1,565 Posts
    DN has always activated USED IRD's but check first if it is leased....
    They USED to give you BS. Oh there is a back fee of $350.00 so pay that off and OK.
    They tried that with me when I was given my neighbors IRD a 510 and knew it was Owned and FREE of charges.
    Called back and no Problems...

Now DTV you used to be able to go into RAT Shack, Best Buy etc... and buy the IRD, NO MORE.....
    They are still allowing STD DEF to be added to your account, But NOT HD! ALL HD IRD'S ARE NOW LEASED.
    Another neighbor gave me 2 HD IRD's from DTV which he owned and bought but they won't allow me, they said send them to
    US, we will send you a box.... HELL NO!
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs hang their heads out of car windows - Ride Safe

Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are stupider than that. -- George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanks guys for the info, about the hijack, i didn't know where else to ask. with the way things change all the time and the difference of who you talk to at the other end, one will and the other not, and i suppose you call out of the country anyhow, i hate that, i have some standard receivers that are real old D-10, DRD 420 ore that i picked up in a junk store a long time ago, so i guess i will see what happens, i just wanted to know if something was possible before we got any suuprises.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gates07 For This Useful Post:

Gibson49 (01-31-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 1,565 Posts
    I am not sure how DTV operates their CSR's but in the PAST DN had some real IDIOTS. They read from a script and if you
    asked a question they didn't have in the script you got almost any answer. or NO or that will be a extra charge....LMAO
    Now I will say they are MUCH BETTER and have answers and don't give you BS....

EXCEPT.... the time I wanted my 510 replaced after getting a letter they would be discontinuing this IRD.
    They would not budge, we need to come out and INSPECT your whole wiring... WTF for?
    NO IRD unless Inspection....!
    This was if I wanted a 612 ONLY..... LMAO
    Now if I got a 211 they would ship it to me FREE and I could install....
    A 612 No way and they inspect.... WHY, well a HD unit needs special Barrel connector and special needs... LIKE HELL!
    I have never heard more nonsense than this from DN.
    I now have two 722's on the same setup I INSTALLED a 722 and a 722K.... BYE!

So I got a used one at a yard sale really Cheep and owned.... And discontinued the 510.
    The 510 after 8 years and 2 replacement PS finally was giving up. Constant resetting and loosing programming.
    The only thing I don't like about the 211 was the remote is ONLY IR and does not have RF.
    Had two 510 so did get the 211 for one and I got to keep the 510 as it was MINE and the card, as have about 8 or
    more HDD filled with programs... Probably will never watch LOL....
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs hang their heads out of car windows - Ride Safe

Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are stupider than that. -- George Carlin

Thanks
    When we switched to DTV last week I told my wife to just get the standard boxes and I would order HD boxes off ebay or somewhere.
    So she call a few days ago and asked them if we get boxes off ebay will they activate them and they said yes but we would have to activate them as leased boxes.
    I said what the hell does my boxes that I buy outright have to do with a lease? And they said it's there new policy.
    Man I was pissed. Now I'm in a 2 year contract and if I want HD tv I have to lease the damn boxes from them.

Can anyone say ripoff.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cruzat For This Useful Post:

Gibson49 (01-31-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,452 Posts
    cruzat, comcrap isnt any different
    Please do not PM Me with questions
    Post them in the forums so others may learn and benefit from your experience.
    Read the Stickys and Please use the Hidden Content Button.
    Click Hidden Content for site Rules
    What I need is an exact list of specific unknown problems we might encounter.